Thursday, July 17, 2008

One mans junk, another mans treasure....

I found this old monstrous fuel tank on a BMW which could have been free for the taking. I decided to pay the $100.00 asking price for the entire motorcycle as the 10 gallon fuel tank was a rare item. It definitely didn't look like any kind of treasure to most folks. Ugly, scratched and bulbous. Missing the knee pads, top cover, cap and sat open to the weather for a couple nice Montana Winters.
Took some doing and a few bucks, but I scared up a new old stock 35 year old original gas cap. Found a well used tool box cover for $50.00. A new custom hand built cover was $450.00. Pretty easy decision there. A couple of new stick-on BMW roundels, a $150.00 paint job and here we are.
Now that is more like it. It is still bulbous and ugly to most but I find it beautiful. Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder they say. Besides the fact that the tank is worth around $1200.00 or more as it sits now. I rummaged through a bunch of extra unused long sitting BMW parts I have laying around and listed them on E-Bay last night. Already up to $59.99 for 4 of the 5 items and still have 6 days to go. See , now my junk will be someone else's treasure. Round and round it goes. I love the recycle theory of old motorcycle parts. Junk can always become cash with a little effort. With E-bay, my cash has become junk in a few instances. I have over paid for a few things and then when received they were still someone else's (my) junk. No treasure to be found sometimes. Oh well , now I will pass them on to someone else. Round it goes again. Gotta love it.
I will depart on a 1000 mile weekend trip tomorrow after work. The BMW Motorcycle Owners of America is holding their International Rally in Gillette Wyo. (of all places) this week so will do a Banzaii run over there this weekend. Darian has bowed out and we will meet in Billings tomorrow night to see both our daughters and grandkids. Darian will stay over and I will continue on to the rally on Sat. morning. A long way to go for one night but what the hell. If I don't go I will regret it. Sunday will be a 500 mile one day ride to Dillon. Should be a nice but somewhat long day. I will hope to see some old Airhead friends at the rally and will take some photos. Have a nice day.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Gila Mtns.

Gila Mtns.