Sunday, March 13, 2011

R75/5 sold?

I spent a few hours with a potential buyer yesterday....he had little riding experience and was completely intimidated by the R75/5. I took him for a ride on the pillion seat and he was somewhat shocked by the size of the bike. Way too big for him. I did not let him drive the bike as he would have likely crashed it. I dissuaded him from the deal and I told him he should buy a smaller bike and get his riding skills up to par before buying a vintage BMW.
I had another offer for the bike which included a BMW trade. The buyer has offered a fair amount of cash and a 1982 BMW R65. The R65 photo is a little poor but the bikes owner has said he has taken care of it. All repairs being performed at a BMW Dealer. Appears to be a nice little bike with a low seat height.

So this will work well for me. I will not have the total purchase price for the Zundapp but can handle the difference....and will still have a solo bike to ride. The R65 would actually be a good bike for my wife to ride if she wants to.


. We'll see if this deal comes together.....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know how you vintage Beemer boys are, protective of your rides. As much as I love Japanese bikes, there isn't quite the same feeling.

I am a Beemer rider myself, and would love to get into the /5 /6 scene. I had a friend who always said I'd graduate off the 78 Honda one day... I don't know that I'll ever give it up, but this morning I saw a phenomenal r90/6 cafe, blue and white, with oversized jugs and a lightened flywheel that made me fawn. I could 'graduate' if the right bike came along...

Brady
Behind Bars - Motorcycles and Life
http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/

BMW HACKER said...

I rode nothing but big bore Asian bikes all through the 70's / 80's...made the mistake of riding an old 1971 BMW R75/5. A clunky, tired old girl that immediately had me in its' spell. Kind of like driving an old pickup truck. Drove it home for $1200.00. I've now owned about a dozen old BMW's...5 of which even ran...

Gila Mtns.

Gila Mtns.